Monday, October 21, 2019

Wk: 36: I Live in the Ghetto

It has been a while since I've written anything on the blog. I will catch you up. I have been living in Salem, Indiana. My companion was Elder McBride. We got along well and had lots of fun, but the work was very slow. It takes a toll on you. I am still alive! My trainer went home last transfer, Elder Godfrey, and I was lucky enough to be in the area above him so we got to hang out with them every pday. Our very last pday, we all hung out and went fishing. It was a good ole' time. He actually gave me his guitar and I gave my guitar to another missionary that wanted it. Now I have his nice one. I had all my last companions sign it so I can remember them. Some songs that I have been learning are; Come Thou Fount, Be Still My Soul, A Poor Way Fairing Man of Grief, and some other ones on that side that aren't hymns. It has been fun to learn to play the guitar. It is relaxing to learn and play, and I hope to be pretty good by the end of my mission so I can surprise you guys. Ha

We had transfers this last week and I was called to serve in the Shawnee and Shively area. It is a bike area. I am also in a trio with Elder Fisher who is from St. George and has been out 14 months, and Elder Sherwood, from LA who has been out 13 months. He is a struggling missionary that has been floating around the mission lately.

This week has been fun. I love being on my bike and the area is super ghetto. It is the most dangerous area in the whole mission so there is that. I've only heard gunshots a few times. We have to be in by dark every night. Other than that, we have met some really cool people we are teaching. I am in a branch again, and from what I hear, missionaries don't get fed. There are also not a lot of places to eat out. I guess it is time to brush up on my cooking skills.

We found a guy named Daniel a couple of days ago and taught him. He was about to go back to prison because of a parole and he couldn't pay rent. We prayed with him that  a miracle would happen so he could find money for rent and that we would be able to continue to teach him. He came up with the money and called us and asked when he can get baptized. So that is awesome! We have another guy named Robert who was in prison for 20 years and got out. We are helping him quit smoking so he can get baptized as well. He hasn't smoked for 3 days now. The program we use gets people to quit smoking for 3 days. It is cool to watch. So keep Robert in your prayers!

There are several others in our teaching pool I haven't met but I am excited to be busy. 14 possibles in this area. The area is always busy, we don't have to tract at all because we are constantly getting referrals from members. This area is probably the best are in the whole mission. The only thing is that it is in a really small branch and all the people that go there are assigned there from other areas. We can do it!!

I started some new meds that is helping me feel better and every day is getting better little by little. I hope to be the mission I think the Lord wants me to be.

I have some pictures. I am sharing here and hope you like them.

I will talk to you again soon,
Elder Greenlaw


PDay Hike


Elder McBride - Sooo Tall! 


I have never really liked fishing, but today I was a fisherman. 


Pday with the buds


Elder Godfrey


Giving me his guitar! So cool


Hanging with the buds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment